Monday, March 7, 2011

a day in the life of a restaurant

So a few months back, I was sitting in a very popular and busy tapas bar in Granada. I loved watching the bartenders dance around each other while they dashed from the service window to the customers. The staff joked with each other while still being on top of all their orders. After a while, I thought "I'd love to capture this activity and teamwork with my camera".

So, when I came back, I asked my friend Mike if he would let me come into the restaurant he manages to shoot the project. I went in twice, both on during Sunday brunch service. I got a tour of the kitchen from the chef, who seemed very happy to have someone interested in what he does. Mike gave me a tour of his 'front of the house' world, including the wine cellar, which is what he is most proud of as the wine buyer.  I met all the staff as well and they quickly got used to me following them around taking pictures of them.

So, this was the first time I ever did a photo essay like this. There are things I wish I would have captured more of (portraits of staff) and shots I wish were technically better, but in the end it was really fun and a great exercise. My intention was to make this like an editorial, so 10 pictures that tell a story (which is actually generous). I started with over 400 shots, narrowed them easily down to 120, then down to 40 and well I posted 33 to flickr as for the set. Three times over my goal. I have new found respect for editors.

But here, I want to try and get it down to 10 14. Again, the intention being behind the scenes of a restaurant, life during the shift. So here goes....

 



 




 

  

 
















 

4 comments:

  1. So, the two smaller frames, side-by-side only count as one picture?? ha ha. Nice work! the restaurant space is interesting -- nice lines (and views, of course). Lots of great pics. I think i prefer the shot you have of the lobster being prepped (on flickr) over the crab. what a fun project...

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous shots - do you go to Granada often? A friend of mine is organizing a 40th and 30th birthday party trip for sometime in Spring next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello claudine, thanks for visiting! I do not go to granada often. This past fall was my first time. I was there for 2 weeks. It would be a great place to go for a party. There are beautiful neighborhoods and of course the alhambra is a must see. Personally, I prefer sevilla though. I totally fell in love with that city. there was a frugal traveler column last week in the nytimes about Cabo de Gata, a beautiful beach area not too far from granada.

    ReplyDelete